It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 am

search engine optimization

Help with Web Design, Programming, and Graphics

Moderator: Gecko

search engine optimization

Postby cking » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:07 pm

I have been asked by my company to "optimize" our web site I've updated the meta tags but I'm aware that they are not the only thing search engines look at anymore (most don't consider them much if at all) I was wondering what else needs to be done in order to optimize a site? specifically raise the page rank.
cking
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: search engine optimization

Postby Gecko » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:26 am

cking

Here is my top ten check list for search engine optimization.

1. Give visitors the information they're looking for
Provide high-quality content on your pages, especially your homepage. This is the single most important thing to do.

2. Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.

3. Offer a site map to your users with links that point to the important parts of your site. If the site map is larger than 100 or so links, you may want to break the site map into separate pages.

4. Check the meta tag keywords and description words, make sure that your site actually includes all the words from both within it.

5. Use text instead of images to display important names, content, or links.

6. Make sure that your <title> elements are descriptive and accurate.

7. All images should have complete descriptive <alt> attributes

8. Check for broken links and correct HTML (validate).

9. Use a text browser such as Lynx to examine your site, because most search engine spiders see your site much as Lynx would. If fancy features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash keep you from seeing all of your site in a text browser, then search engine spiders may have trouble crawling your site.

10. Make use of the robots.txt file on your web server. This file tells crawlers which directories can or cannot be crawled. Make sure it's current for your site so that you don't accidentally block any search engine crawler.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby cking » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Gecko this is helpful information to get me started. Will this also help my Page Ranking Score (PR) by following these rules? Also what is the benefit of using a SEO specializing company / program it has been suggested that we use one of those and from time to time we get e-Mails (spam) to help us optimize our site and I'd like some hard facts on why it's a good idea or not to present them with.
cking
Geek
Geek

Postby Gecko » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:56 am

cking ,

I really don't do SER for clients but I do know the basics of what Google likes
Yes the above suggestions will help in your Page Ranking, Google will rank an optimized site higher.

As for the spam SEO companies I would stay away from them as most use "non-organic" means to increase you ranking.
Google will penalize you for using non-organic means to increase your ranking, it just takes a couple of months for Google to catch it.
By then the check is cashed and they won't reply or respond!

Google ranks a site higher if there are links from other sites that link to it.
There are alot of other things Google factors in as well but this is number one.
It can't be just a link, like with link trading (non-organic), it has to be relevant to the content the link is within (organic).

Post some links back to your site on social networking sites like Facebook and others.
Search Google for Blogs related to your web site's content and comment on the blogs with linking to your site.

Google will help you improve you page ranking go to Google Webmaster Tools and sign up for an account.
Follow the online instruction using the ? incon if you need help, work your way down the menu on the left.
You will have to validate that you are in fact in an admin position, you will have to add either a html file or a <meta> tag.
Next open a Google Analytics account and add the script code to each page of your site, verify that Google is tracking your site.

Between the Webmaster tools and Analytics you will have a lot of information about your traffic, search criteria and more information than you will know what to do with.
That will really help in seeing what kind of searches you are coming up in and your site's ranking for that search.

Spend a couple of hours reading through Google's webmaster guides and tips they have a ton of good information there.

Good Luck
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby Cynthia » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:10 pm

SEO is a rather complex process, but very effective if well implemented. First and foremost, attention should be paid to the on-page optimization factors when building a SEO friendly site. Doing so will improve your SEO statistics and generate web traffic. Apart from optimizing meta tags and URLs, You should also have the following:

-It is highly recommended that you use a Unix or Linux server.
-Your site should have RSS functionalities included a swell.
-Generating a dynamic sitemap is an essential for a SEO friendly site.
Cynthia

Postby Serena07 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 am

If you ask me the future of search engine optimization, then I would say that long for many reasons. First, it is an organic SEO technique that ensures the quality of traffic to their websites through content, keywords and site navigation. Other factors may interconnect the page, robot txt files, meta tags, URL and adjustments. It requires little more than the systematic involvement of hard work, creativity and professionalism. Following the most logical statement on the future of internet marketing technique is unique and versatility that nobody can deny it all means. In fact, it offers many advantages to the industry of business involves a greater amount of organic traffic to the site, most search engines Google and Yahoo, increasing the amount of revenue generation, competitive advantage, and development long-term corporate identity.

web design miami
Serena07

Operating System: os windows

Postby dckap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:59 am

Really nice tips Gecko. Sure this would be helpful for the seo beginners. Keep update more tips.
dckap
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Operating System: windows xp

Postby victorianixon » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:24 am

SEO is an excellent tool in order to grow online business. there are some great seo strategies such as identify keywords, wide seo services, write good content, get other sites linking to yours, structure your site for seo and analyse your site.

Internet Marketing Promotion
victorianixon

Postby jacksdosen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Marketing nature of the site is constantly evolving, from optimizing the focus of the text, including a series of numbers assset optimization, such as images, audio, video, and formats such as RSS and mobile content delivery. No matter, it is still a basic SEO value.
jacksdosen

Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10

Postby dckap » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 pm

It's a technique to present our site search engine friendly. Nowadays it becomes a huge business in today's world.
dckap
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Operating System: windows xp

Postby ratibawa » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:07 pm

SEO(Search Engine Optimization) is a technique to increase website ranking in SERP.
and is use to increase traffic of website.
ratibawa

Postby stunerwilliam » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 pm

A trusted seo and linking service would cover all the factors of web page look for web page optimization and campaign, bringing in site visitors.It is one of the most essential factors of seo.
stunerwilliam

Operating System: window 7

Postby batlon13 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:03 am

Thank you Gecko, this is very helpful for me and my website. i also worried about my website that i how i wll promote my website in google page rank and how i will improve my my website PR.but solve my problem.
thanks to you.
batlon13

Postby liamdavis » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 am

The most important thing to consider is the content of your website. Your content needs to be interesting and updated.
liamdavis

Operating System: Windows 7

Postby alfred26 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:11 am

SEO sector is one of the most interesting and most attractive sector for which person who want to be a real freelancer. I am a freelancer and I also work in a SEO sector. thanks to Gecko for his best suggest and obviously he gives us more knowledge that we never know about SEO.
alfred26
Geek
Geek

Next

Return to Web Development