It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:42 am

How to test for 64bit capability

All computer hardware support

How to test for 64bit capability

Postby gglover » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:41 pm

Hi there~

My PC was built using an ABIT AL8 (Lakeport-P?) motherboard, and has an Intel Pentium D820 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor. 2 gigs RAM.

It has Win XP loaded, but it's not the 64 bit version.

I have been told that my system should be 64 bit capable. The processor description above has a "64" in it, but....???

Before I get into the morass of trying to replace my current XP with Win XP 64, how can I confirm it'll work? And is there any "trick" involved with upgrading (or replacing) WIN 32 to 64?

Oh - and I suppose it's only prudent to ask if that's even a good thing to do. At this point, I have only one software product that is 64bit compatible, but my understanding (such that it is) is that 32 bit stuff should work in 64 bit.

Thanks for any help!

-G
gglover

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:00 am

Welcome to pctechforums gglover,

32 bit software (this includes device drivers) will not run on a 64 bit operating system. You do have a 64 bit processor but again, 3rd party software could be an issue. It depends on what you use your computer for but i can tell you now that gaming wouldnt be an option. Not many 64 bit games floating around yet.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby gglover » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:02 am

Thank you for the welcome!

And I guess your answer pretty much nails it.

Actually, I am in the middle of transferring my digital audio work back to the PC world from the Mac.

The software I use for that, Cakewalk Sonar, is available 64 bit, but everything else I have is 32.

But I also have all the typical Office software, Visio, some development programs, etc. on it.

I know I should dedicate an entire machine to just the audio/video work, and I'm sure these forums will help me figure out what hardware to get.

For now, I'm stuck in 32 until I grab another PC.

I am surprised that there aren't loads of games for 64 yet. I'm not a gamer, but it does seem like the gamers are on the forefront of performance. They must be chomping at the bit (so to speak).

At any rate, thanks for the response.

-G
gglover

Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:48 am

gglover wrote:I am surprised that there aren't loads of games for 64 yet. I'm not a gamer, but it does seem like the gamers are on the forefront of performance. They must be chomping at the bit (so to speak).

I do quite a bit of gaming but i cant say i would be excited to see 64 bit versions. Other than gaming, i use a TON of 32 bit software that isnt available in 64 which would cause me to need a 32 bit system and a 64 bit system. I havent tested the 64 bit windows and i guess i really need to do that but i've been satisfied with 32 bit. I ran 64 and 32 bit Ubuntu Linux and couldnt honestly say there was a difference in performance or stability. The thing i ran into was finding 64 bit apps for the OS. 32 bit apps are more than abundant for it.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Return to Hardware