It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 am

Massive FPS Drops in Online Games Only

All computer hardware support

Massive FPS Drops in Online Games Only

Postby arsenicknife » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:19 am

I've been having this issue for the last few weeks, where, randomly, the game I'm playing will go from a constant 30 or 40 fps down to about 5 or 10 depending on where I am, and sometimes the game will virtually freeze up in more populated areas. These spikes last for a good 15 seconds and happen every 2 or 3 minutes. The problem is that they happen in online games only, specifically Rift and League of Legends, the two main ones I'm playing right now. I've been playing Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning as well, which is a single-player game, but I've had no issues with this whatsoever.

I've contacted tech support for Rift, and over the course of three or four days we could not resolve this issue. We tried everything from editing specific files in the Rift directory, to the typical step-by-step"fixes" that they have to run through. I even went and reformatted my harddrive, to no avail. Today, I tried replacing my modem, but I don't experience any disconnects in the game, just the fps lag. Furthermore, I can play online on my consoles using a wireless connection and not have any lag/disconnects. It's only when I play on my PC, which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue. But at the same time, why only the online games?

These are my specs for reference:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/20/10 10:22:37 Ver: 03.04
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6144MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Display Memory: 3307 MB
Dedicated Memory: 491 MB
Shared Memory: 2815 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

One final note is that I've had this setup for the last year, it's only the last few weeks that have been giving my trouble. Any ideas? I'm truly desperate because I've tried everything within my limited knowledge about computers, and I literally don't know what else to do. I don't currently have the means to go out and build a new pc, but I don't think anything is actually wrong with it because of how selective the problem is. That's what makes it so frustrating.
arsenicknife

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Massive FPS Drops in Online Games Only

Postby liljim » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:03 pm

A pc will use more internet bandwidth than a console, i'd try some internet speed test when you notice the lag.

http://www.speedtest.net is a good place to do that
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby arsenicknife » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I tried the speed test several times, both while the game was running during the lag, and when I was logged off. The download speed ranged from the upper 11 mbps (during the lag) to about 16 mbps (mainly without the game running, but a few times during the lag, as well). Upload speed stayed consistently at 2mbps and ping stayed below 20.
arsenicknife

Postby liljim » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Ok so your getting bandwidth, the question now would be where is it going. Culprit could be a spyware or malware problem eating up your net. You did however mention you have wireless, is it secure? Would it be possible that a neighbor could be hopping on and slowing you down?
liljim

Postby arsenicknife » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:29 am

I reformatted recently and tried running the game immediately after, and continued to get the lag. I do have wireless but I've tried running my modem directly to my computer - no luck.
arsenicknife

Postby liljim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:39 am

The online only thing is whats throwing me. Your on a clean machine, tried direct connection, plenty speed. We could look into heat issues but that would effect offline gaming also.

Grab GPU-Z, its a good monitoring tool. Run it and click on the Sensors tab. There should be 2 areas reporting temps, one from the driver and one from an onboard chip. Leave it up and load a game, when it starts lagging check the temps and see what its maxing out at. Its rated to max out at 105 but im sure anything over mid 80s will be glitchy.
liljim

Postby arsenicknife » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Just let it run for about 10 minutes, lost track of how many times it started lagging but I checked the GPU-Z every time and it never went above 72 degrees. When the game isn't running it's around 58 - 60.

arsenicknife

Postby Gecko » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm going to jump in here and say a clean install does not mean no infections, there are boot sector infections.

I would suggest you try TCPView from Sysinternals.
It will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby arsenicknife » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:59 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but - I downloaded TCPView. What do I do with it?

As an aside, I'm running Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool and Kaspersky to identify if any boot sector viruses are present. I regularly run Spybot and Malwarebytes, as well. I'll update with any results, good or bad.
arsenicknife

Postby arsenicknife » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 am

Neither Microsoft's software or Kaspersky found anything.
arsenicknife

Postby Gecko » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:45 pm

arsenicknife,

I'm glad your system reports no infections.

When you start TCPView it will enumerate all active TCP and UDP endpoints, resolving all IP addresses to their domain name versions.
It could be something as simple as windows checking for updates that is using your bandwidth and causing your problem.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby arsenicknife » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Would this be something that affects all games, though? And something that happens consistently? Because the problem only exists when I'm trying to play online, in either Rift or League of Legends (haven't tested in any other online games but two in a row seems more than coincidental to me). Any other offline game works fine, and in general my computer's speed is stable. I don't notice any random slowdowns when I'm not playing a game.
arsenicknife

Postby arsenicknife » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:49 am

So, I'm pretty sure this issue is a fault on my ISP's end. I just tested four very different online games (RIFT and League of Legends, which I've already mentioned, and now Team Fortress 2 and Realm of the Mad God). Every single one of these games suffered random, severe fps drops every minute or so lasting for about 10-15 seconds. These are all online-mutliplayer games.

I then tried Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Dear Esther, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. These three games worked fine. They are all offline only.

I'm going to contact my ISP tomorrow and insult their mothers. I appreciate the help so far in trying to fix this issue, if anyone else has any more ideas I'd appreciate it, but I think something on their end is screwy. I'll see what they say tomorrow.
arsenicknife

Postby arsenicknife » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:06 pm

It's 100% my connection. Went over a friend's house to test, everything ran smooth. He has the same ISP that I do. Called up my provider and they did a packet test, and there was a 3% packet loss. They're coming out tomorrow afternoon to fix it. Hopefully, this is what's actually wrong.
arsenicknife

Postby liljim » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:54 pm

Good deal, i hope they get it straight.
liljim

Next

Return to Hardware