It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:17 am

Sata Hard Drive

All computer hardware support

Sata Hard Drive

Postby Torquay-Pete » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi all, long time no visit :shock: as things have been running smoothly.....Until now. My present set up has 2 IDE hard drives with windows 7 on each (just in case I get problems with one installation) I have just bought a 500GB SATA drive and installed this alongside the previous drives.so far so good...the Bios recognises this as a valid Drive but when I boot up and go to my computer this isn't showing up? :idea: Not sure where I am going wrong..tried to put Windows 7 on this (Just to see if this recognises the Drive) but It cant install as it needs formatting first....any Ideas would be more than appreciated....thanks in advance Pete
Torquay-Pete
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Operating System: Windows 7

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:1

Re: Sata Hard Drive

Postby liljim » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 am

if its new, it will need a partition created then formatted. Win 7 should do that for you.

If its not cooperating.. EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition is a great little free program that will help.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby Torquay-Pete » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks liljim...But I cant format this until windows 7 shows this in My Computer? I dont know if I need to alter some settings in the BIOS......but I really only want this hard drive for storage.
Torquay-Pete
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby liljim » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Windows wont see it until its partitioned, when i said win 7 should do that i was meaning from the install disk. I should have been more specific. Download that program i linked, it should see the new drive and allow you to create a ntfs partition. Windows should pick it up after that.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby Torquay-Pete » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 am

Hi again. I'm begining to think that the new SATA drive is not compatable with my 2 IDE drives......Is this Possible?
I have sucsessfully installed Windows 7 on the SATA but ......My computer dosn't show or recognise the old IDE drives when I run this. When I change the BIOS setup to boot from my previous set-up This wont show the SATA drive? All 3 drives are showing in the Bios but I cant seem to get then to recognise each other in Windows....Gonna sell the SATA soon and get a Bigger IDE Drive if I cant get to the bottom of this problem.....Cheers from a seriously P****d Off Pete :mad:
Torquay-Pete
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby jacksdosen » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:01 pm

WD leading the way, open up a huge storage capacity of 3 terabytes of the single drive.WD sales included in the retail price of one, two or three years or five years of warranty a lot of hard disk drives, but offers its customers the option to purchaselonger (two or three years) a guarantee on its website. Three years is the current industry standards.
jacksdosen

Operating System: Ubuntu 11.10

Thanks received:0

Postby petersampsons » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:18 pm

Sata hard drive is a most popular hard disk in the present. A SATA hard drive is one option for data storage uses on your personal computer or laptop.
petersampsons

Thanks received:0

Return to Hardware