It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Possible HDD fail

All computer hardware support

Possible HDD fail

Postby flynryan692 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:11 am

Hello, I think I may have experienced a HDD fail.

Well, I was just browsing the internet, actually a site I made and others use often. I had noticed everything was loading really slow and new tabs just said about:blank and never really loaded other sites etc. I clicked a link on my site and it was loading slow..next thing I know I get a BSOD.

Well, that sucks. The error code was a Kernel Data in page error, code 07A.

I tried to restart my computer, got to the windows loading screen and it took forever. I then got another BSOD this time it was a c000021A error. Once again tried to restart and after verifying DMI pool data on the post screen I got something about SYSTEM BOOT FAIL INSERT DISK or something.

I then plugged in my backup HDD formatted to work on my system in case of a crash and it booted up and worked fine. Put the suspected crashed drive back in and I did not get the SYSTEM BOOT FAIL message, but all I got was a black screen. Let me also add that I ran both my good back up drive and the suspected crashed drive and booted to my windows 7 disk as if I was going to reinstall WIN7. Both drives were found working fine. Also tried running the repair tool, didn't work. I decided to try and see if I had any bad sectors or anything on the drive so I booted Powermax HDD Scan to no avail. It took me directly to command prompt.

I am assuming the drive is crashed, but anybody have any other ideas? I'd really like to save myself from buying another drive.

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G LGA 775 Intel P45
Intel Q8300 2.5ghz
4gb G.Skill DDR3 1333
EVGA GTX460 Femi
1.5TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
flynryan692

Operating System: Windows 7

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: Possible HDD fail

Postby liljim » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I have to ask first if its a maxtor drive because your specs show a WD and powermax wont work on it. If its maxtor and powermax wouldnt see it then its a really good chance its gone. If its a wd drive you need their software found HERE
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby flynryan692 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:02 pm

I've used it before, but I am downloading your link and I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
flynryan692

Postby flynryan692 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Booted it up and it told me that WD drives were found but versions not supported.

However when I boot now I get to the starting windows screen, no animated logo, just text. Haven't gotten pass that. I'd assume then the drive isn't failed?

Edit* Never mind it just goes back to the c000021A error after hanging for a while.
flynryan692

Postby liljim » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:46 pm

drive is functional then, try pressing f8 BEFORE windows starts to load to get the safe mode menu and choose last known good configuration and see if it starts.
liljim

Postby flynryan692 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:32 am

I should have done that. Whoops. I ended up reformatting the drive. I also got to thinking about what I was doing when this happened, and why I had to reformat not to long ago. Both times were the exact same scenario so I'm thinking it is a software or driver issue that has caused these problems. Unfortunately I have no error logs or anything of that nature that explains why I got a bluescreen, so I'll just have to guess. Thank you for your help!
flynryan692

Postby liljim » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:43 am

sorry it wasnt sooner but theres a ton of causes. For some its been software, some drivers and some even say psu. Ive read more than once that a weak psu or even having your hdd power on the same chain as a big vid card power connection will cause it. I havent experienced it myself but i can see the logic.
liljim

Postby flynryan692 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:45 am

Just when I thought this was over.

Windows popped up an error telling me that my hard drive may fail soon and that I should back up everything. I opened up event viewer and found the event. It says Windows Disk Diagnostic detected a S.M.A.R.T. fault on disk blah blah. This disk might fail soon.

Any ideas?

Edit: Here is a photo from active smart.

flynryan692

Postby liljim » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:39 pm

ah, thats not good. Id try to get the right wd software (link) and do a full test. It may be able to repair the bad sectors, after i suggest a zero fill. Both process's take ages to complete so id make it an overnight project.
liljim

Return to Hardware