It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:12 am

DDR 3 RAM questions

All computer hardware support

DDR 3 RAM questions

Postby Jokebook » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:43 am

In the process of building a new system (as most people in this forum are).

i52500
ASUS P8P67
GTX570
Win7 64bit home

Im all but decided on purchasing Crucial RAM for the system, but was hoping I could get some help before the purchase. I can't say that I understand the different timings on different RAMS other than they exist and effect the speed.

I believe there is 1333, 1600, 1866, and 2133. In looking around I can't see any reason to go above 1600. Will I receive noticeable performance boost by moving up from 1600?

Also, is 4GB sufficient or should I go with 8GB from the start ( was thinking I could add 4GB later)

Lastly I am linking the page I am purchasing from. There is 2 types of Ballistix RAM on that page ( Tracer, and regular Ballistix) that are both 1600. I can't see any difference between the 2 but the prices are different. Is it just a price difference and the RAM is the same or am I missing something?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=P8P67

I really appreciate any information from someone who is more knowledgeable in this area
Jokebook
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: DDR 3 RAM questions

Postby liljim » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:07 am

4 gigs will be ok from the start, no you really wont notice that much difference above 1600, spec wise the 2 sticks are the same. The only difference i could find is cosmetic, timings, frequency and memory banks are all identical. I dont think you missed anything at all.

Im currently running 4 gigs on win 7 64 and it runs good. Im only running a X2 3.2 amd dual core and ddr2800 memory. Id try 4 first and see how it works for you. I was considering jumping to 8 just for the hell of it but i havent as of yet.

As far as timings go, the lower the better. DDR3 has high timings compared to DDR2 but make up for it in throughput/frequency. Even though there naturally high you still want to find the lowest of your available options. Again though, this is one of those things that unless your a hard core gamer or benchmarker you will never really see the difference.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby Jokebook » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:50 am

Hehe, I'm obviously a hardcore gamer (dunno what else a GTX 570 would be for) :D In the future I will make sure and look for the lowest timings!

I really appreciate your response it was extremely helpful.

jb
Jokebook
Geek
Geek

Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:26 am

Hehe, I'm obviously a hardcore gamer (dunno what else a GTX 570 would be for) :D

Glad it helped but just a side note, gaming isnt the only thing that uses those cards. Video editing, rendering and that whole genre eat up video power just as much (in some cases more) than gaming does. And theres always the people who just buy them to say they have it without really knowing what it is to begin with.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Return to Hardware