It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 pm

PC Power Supply

All computer hardware support

PC Power Supply

Postby turoneus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm just after some advice if possible. Now im not terrible with computers, but not the best either! I'm looking at updating my comp with a new graphics card (I'm looking at the geforce 450 1gb) and the wattage is minimum 400w, so I've done some research and know that to check your powersupply you take the side of and yadda yadda yadda. So my power supply is only 300w (3 year old stock pc from pc world) so I need to upgrade this first. Firstly, are there any limitations with the type of power supply to buy and also, I figure I can't get just a 400w one as there is more to be powered than just the graphics card. How much extra power would I need to power other things...would a 500w be enough? I can provide pc details if needed, but im not sure what you need to know, as I say, I'm not stupid, but not a tech head on any level.

Any help would be amazing and thanks in advance!
turoneus

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: PC Power Supply

Postby Gecko » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 am

turoneus,

This site is the best one I know of for calculating your PSU needs
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Re: PC Power Supply

Postby liljim » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 pm

After using the link posted, keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Dont buy a cheap power supply, buy something trusted such as Antec, Thermaltake, Coursair. http://www.newegg.com is a great place to shop, the customer reviews are very honest and the pricing is great.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:12

Return to Hardware