It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:10 am

Dual booting with win98

All versions of Linux, Mac OS and Unix

Moderator: PCguy

Dual booting with win98

Postby liljim » Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:09 am

Im about all windowed out and want something new to look at.I want to try linux but i dont know which one to to get.I would definatly need a version that would dual boot with 98 trouble free.Please note that i never used linux before so it needs to be an idiot proof version as well.
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:12

Postby teststrips » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:39 pm

i personally like the Mandrake distribution (dist = flavor of linux), it's always installed easily for me. Redhat is another one to look at
teststrips
Geek Alumni

Thanks received:0

Postby cid222 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:59 am

Try using Knoppix(not sure on spelling) it is a version of linux that does not require any installation it boots off the cd and runs linux in your memory. It is a wonderful way to sample linux without all of the trouble of resizing your partitions.....
cid222
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Postby Restek » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:38 am

I think both suggeations are excellent - the one thing I would say is that depending on what you want to get out of linux, a simpler distro like slackware is worth considering. Mandrake/knoppix are great if you just want linux to work, slackware is a lot better if you actually want to learn how linux works 'under the hood' :)
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby Mission » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:23 am

Im on Fedora Core 2. Its stable, its a little harder to get used to and get the hang of but its great!
~Mish~
Mission
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Postby liljim » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:30 am

hehe..someone resurected the dead!!...

Since this thread was brought back to life, i guess i should update the situation.I have setup a very smooth running system that dual boots XP and Mandrake 10.I havent had the chance to try out other distro's yet but i certainly plan to.I must say that installing and configuring Mandrake 10 was pretty easy, all except the pctel dialup modem, which i have since figured out how to install.I belive the info is in another post somewhere in the linux forum.

Thanks again for all the info and im sure i'll have more linux questions once i get my hands on some other distro's.

liljim
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Return to Linux, Mac and Unix