It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:02 am

PC won't shut down, rundll32.exe not responding

All versions of Windows 7, 2008 and Vista including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

PC won't shut down, rundll32.exe not responding

Postby comrade » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:22 pm

All, I have the following problem; When I try to shut my PC down, or re-start, it doesn't work. After a while, I get a "rundll32.exe" is not responding. If I click "End Now" then the PC shuts down fine. I'm not sure what has happened, I've a feeling it is something to do with Ad-Aware 6.181 and since I have installed Ad-Aware Professional 6.181 over it. I have already tried uninstalling Ad-Aware completely but it was no use.
Any idea how I can fix my PC so this message doesn't appear all the time? Sometimes I have to turn off the PC in a rush and it's very annyoing to have this window to pop all the time when I'm shutting it down.. :evil:

Thanks in advance
comrade

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Re: PC won't shut down, rundll32.exe not responding

Postby Ranger Bob » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:51 pm

comrade wrote:All, I have the following problem; When I try to shut my PC down, or re-start, it doesn't work. After a while, I get a "rundll32.exe" is not responding. If I click "End Now" then the PC shuts down fine. I'm not sure what has happened, I've a feeling it is something to do with Ad-Aware 6.181 and since I have installed Ad-Aware Professional 6.181 over it. I have already tried uninstalling Ad-Aware completely but it was no use.
Any idea how I can fix my PC so this message doesn't appear all the time? Sometimes I have to turn off the PC in a rush and it's very annyoing to have this window to pop all the time when I'm shutting it down.. :evil:

Thanks in advance

Why do you think Adaware is causing the problem and why did you reinstall Adaware? Why did you have to install Adaware over itself instead of uninstalling Adaware and reinstalling?

Does the error message say anything else?
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Postby brad » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:36 pm

As RB said could you give the whole error message?
it is most likely a program running in the background that is hanging.
brad
"Duty is a matter of the mind. Commitment is a matter of the heart".
brad
Geek Alumni

Postby comrade » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:47 am

Hey, I installed Ad-aware Pro over the normal Ad-aware thinking it would overwrite and it actually did. But we can ignore that for now because there were 2 more things I installed that day (I've un-installed them already but I still get problems):
-NET. Framework 1.0 SDK
-NET. Framework 1.1
-Auto Shut Down XP Professional Program for shutting the PC at a certain time.

The error message I get is the following:

"End program - rundll32.exe

Ending program... please wait.
<loading bar>

If you choose to end the program immediatly, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the program now, click on "End now"."

If I wait till the loading bar finishes I get the following:

"This program is not responding.

To go back to Windows and check the state of the application, click on Cancel.

If you choose to end the program immediatly, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the program now, click on "End now"."

I can choose between "End now" which ends rundll32 and shuts the PC or Cancel which doesn't shut off the PC and doesn't close rundll32 in both error windows.

This is very bad for me when I need to shut off the PC in a rush to go to work... Do you know anyway to fix it now?

And by the way - I've tried doing the Restore System to a later date before I had installed these things to see if I could fix the problem (it does the restore system loading bar and all but it seems it loads too fast) but when the PC reboots for finishing the restore and starts loading the desktop it says that the

"Restore was not concluded" with a red circle and a white X inside it instead of the usual green circle with a white tick in it.
It happens on all days I can choose from to restore the PC to no matter how many times I try it...

I also have some tasks running on the background which I don't know what they are exactly, suspecting them to be spy-wares:

ConnMngmntBox.exe
ECTaskScheduler.exe
Elogerr.exe
mRouterRuntime.exe
BROAD~1.EXE
SCRFS-exe

the 4 first ones are related to my Nokia 3660 Suite program but why they are running in the background I don't know...

Thanks for contributing with any knowledge regarding this problem
comrade

Postby brad » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:26 am

Try cleaning up your Startup Programs. PacsPortal.
brad
"Duty is a matter of the mind. Commitment is a matter of the heart".
brad
Geek Alumni

Postby comrade » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:03 am

Thanks mate that was really helpful, I checked msconfig and found an application called bridge related to rundll32 and it its a Flingstone.com browser hijacker as it says in http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php? ... unt=&type=. But how do I clean them up? Do I just tick them off in the msconfig?
comrade

Postby Ranger Bob » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:23 am

Take a look at this link:

http://www.computercops.biz/check16000next.html

You can download copy of CWShredder from this link:

http://mpc-testing.com/rb/cwshredder_1.53.1.zip
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Postby comrade » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:55 pm

Ok so here's what I did then:

Downloaded the very latest version of CWShredder and Run it, press 'Fix', and allow it to fix all it finds.

Next, I've downloaded HijackThis, and checked the following item.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RunDLL] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\bridge.dll",Load

Next, I've close all browser Windows, and have HT fix it.

Then I restarted my your computer and after that I've deleted the C:\WINDOWS\system32\bridge.dll file.

Now I'm able to reboot my PC without getting the error message appearing and there's no rundll32 running in the background no more! Thanks a lot for the help!

I'm gonna create a Restore Point though and restore pc to it to see if it's working too now.
comrade

Postby Ranger Bob » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:15 pm

comrade wrote: I'm gonna create a Restore Point though and restore pc to it to see if it's working too now.

Make sure you clear all the System Recover points before doing this.
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Postby comrade » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:03 pm

Thanks, I hadn't deleted them and I had the "Restore not concluded" error again but when I did delete them and restore to a newly created point It worked and all seems good again! Thanks !:cool:

Just one more thing : Before I had solved this a friend of mine told me to install Spy Sweeper which found ad-wares, trojans and system monitors that Ad-aware Pro didn't.
Later my friend (who was also using the program) warned me that some of his "supposed to be ad-wares" were actually some important files of his homepage sounds and music and that I should be careful on what I delete by checking in the quarantine folder their directory.
Well, I had deleted them already by then and I have also deleted the quarantine (careless choice of mine :/).

What I really wanted to know about this is:
Is the program Spy Sweeper an anti spy-ware you can rely on or not?
Thanks
comrade

spy sweeper

Postby badpolarbear » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:24 pm

Im not sure about spy sweeper but I use SpyWare Blaster and it seems to do a good job. RegVac is also a good program for removing registry keys of maliscious programs. Daniel
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Postby Ranger Bob » Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:50 pm

Personally I recommend Adaware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. Between these two programs you will will find the majority of any malware that gets installed on you system. In addition they are both free. By adding SpywareBlaster as recommended above with SpywareGuard you would have very good protection.
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Return to Windows 7, 2008 and Vista