It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:19 pm

MSN Messanger acting weird after removing spyware!!

Discuss security related topics in here (Hacking, Cracking, and Protecting)
Do not post HJT Logs here

Moderator: PCguy

MSN Messanger acting weird after removing spyware!!

Postby tanger » Thu May 06, 2004 3:40 am

Hey guys
I ran Spybot recently and Ad-aware as well and after that, MSN Messanger has been acting funny. I recieve messages from friends who claim to see me 'Online' even though I never signed into Messanger. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Spybot or Adaware, but I think it does. Anyone have this happen before? or know how to fix?

tanger
tanger
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Thu May 06, 2004 6:25 am

I dont "think" either of the spyware removers should have affected msn.Its most likely not relevant to your machine at all.Now this may seem to insult your experience but you should know that by default,msn will sign you in automaticly when an internet connection is detected,are you on dialup?Its possible that this is happing to you,another thing is if you were signed in and then signed out...it sometimes take a couple minuites for it to show your contacts that you signed off. I see that quite often,i have 2 seperate msn accounts and i can sign off on one and back on the other and it will show im still signed onto the first one but after a few minuites it will show me as offline..does that make sense :| ?Sounds confusing...In short,not much you can do.Hope i didnt confuse ya too bad :)
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby tanger » Thu May 06, 2004 9:15 am

no i dont have dialup, i have cable..

But the weird thing is that msn was working fine before i ran Spybot and Adaware. And its not like im signed in anywhere else cause i dont use my account anywhere else other than this machine. Why would it just happen? And it has nothing to do with signing in and signing out of different accounts....I get messages when msn isnt even opened
tanger
Geek
Geek

Postby brad » Thu May 06, 2004 9:53 am

Are you sure this isn't the infamous Mesenger Pop-up?
Go to Start / Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel) / Administrative Tools / Services / Double click Messenger / In the Startup type list, click "Disabled" / Click Stop, and then click OK.
brad
"Duty is a matter of the mind. Commitment is a matter of the heart".
brad
Geek Alumni

re msn

Postby badpolarbear » Thu May 06, 2004 2:44 pm

May I suggest when your messenger contact list is up try going to TOOLS, OPTIONS, GENERAL and make sure that in the top 4 boxes that only the second one is check marked. Also if you are using Outlook Expess try going to TOOLS, OPTIONS, GENERAL and make sure there is no check mark in Automatically log on to windows messenger. Good Luck. Daniel
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Postby tanger » Thu May 06, 2004 9:10 pm

I did what brad and badpolarbear suggested and hopefully it works. I just thought it was weird that i started recieving msg's even though i wasnt signed in and its never happened before....thanks for the help guys!

tanger
tanger
Geek
Geek

Postby badpolarbear » Fri May 07, 2004 12:56 am

Gee and here I thought with that avatar you were looking for a miracle cure to make the leafs win the cup. Daniel
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Return to Security