It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 pm

What's this email I just got?

Discuss security related topics in here (Hacking, Cracking, and Protecting)
Do not post HJT Logs here

Moderator: PCguy

Postby amb141 » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:50 am

PC Guy

Thank you for your efforts and explanation. Particularly :

>>mangled his way into our admin control panel and sent out the email to prove how small his penis is. He did not download any list of email addresses nor did he steal them. In fact, we have no list of email addresses to steal. All he did was press a button and the email was sent to everyone. It is a function of the admin panel. <<

And your action to remedy this.

I don't think that anyone actually believed that there was any malice originating from this site. At least I hope not.

alan
amb141
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby mulengro » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:27 am

well i dont think the PC GUY or any admin btw would ask us to revenge on the hacker that way :lol:

And they would remedy the situation as soon as possible
mulengro
Geek
Geek

Postby chick » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:32 am

Ranger Bob wrote:I believe I need to give a heads up to the members of the forum that may not be as protected as some of us. Most of the emails I have started to receive since the hack into the forum contain the Netsky virus so be aware of that and make sure your virus program is up to date and be very careful opening any emails that are coming from addresses that you don't recognize.

Do I read this correctly. So there was a hack into the forum and as a result Netsky virus has been sent out to members.
chick

Postby Restek » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:10 pm

chick wrote:Do I read this correctly. So there was a hack into the forum and as a result Netsky virus has been sent out to members.

No - from what PCGuy has said (thanks for sorting it out btw) the hacker sent a single email to all users of the site, which contained just text. Some other people have had the netsky virus sent to them in emails - this virus works by sending itself from an infected person, to email addresses found in that infected persons computer. The 2 events are unrelated, and the virus has nothing to do with this site.

Hope this clears it up for you :)
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby chick » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:26 pm

Restek wrote:
chick wrote:Do I read this correctly. So there was a hack into the forum and as a result Netsky virus has been sent out to members.

No - from what PCGuy has said (thanks for sorting it out btw) the hacker sent a single email to all users of the site, which contained just text.

Thank you for your reply.
Still a little nigle but you say the hacker sent a single email to all users of the site. Would it not be more correct to say the hacker caused the site to send an email to all users of the site. A thing I understand that is no longer possible.
I am not worried that I was infected as have a good antivirus and, anyway, did not believe the contents of the email and binned it straight away. It was in my junk folder.
For me one good outcome is that about a year ago I did a reformat and subsequently site was missed out from favourites, something now corrected.
chick

Postby Ranger Bob » Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:20 pm

Restek wrote:

No - from what PCGuy has said (thanks for sorting it out btw) the hacker sent a single email to all users of the site, which contained just text. Some other people have had the netsky virus sent to them in emails - this virus works by sending itself from an infected person, to email addresses found in that infected persons computer. The 2 events are unrelated, and the virus has nothing to do with this site.

I am sorry but these emails are being sent by others than people that have been infected. It may not be the result of the hack into the site but from the spambots PCGuy has now blocked but they did get in with spambots and managed to harvest a lot of email addresses before they where blocked.
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Postby Restek » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:20 am

chick wrote:Would it not be more correct to say the hacker caused the site to send an email to all users of the site. A thing I understand that is no longer possible.

OK, so I didn't say it quite right :oops: The way you put it is more correct :)
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby Restek » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:23 am

Ranger Bob wrote:I am sorry but these emails are being sent by others than people that have been infected. It may not be the result of the hack into the site but from the spambots PCGuy has now blocked but they did get in with spambots and managed to harvest a lot of email addresses before they where blocked.

I'm not disputing you, but how are you sure of this? From my reading of the security alerts on the netsky worms, these are exclusively sent from infected people (remember that email headers can be forged). Email addresses may have been harvested from here despite our best efforts, but I don't see what business spammers would have sending worms to people?
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby Ranger Bob » Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:45 pm

Restek wrote:
Ranger Bob wrote:I am sorry but these emails are being sent by others than people that have been infected. It may not be the result of the hack into the site but from the spambots PCGuy has now blocked but they did get in with spambots and managed to harvest a lot of email addresses before they where blocked.

I'm not disputing you, but how are you sure of this? From my reading of the security alerts on the netsky worms, these are exclusively sent from infected people (remember that email headers can be forged). Email addresses may have been harvested from here despite our best efforts, but I don't see what business spammers would have sending worms to people?

Because these emails are only being sent to my PCTech email address which I have not given out to anyone and it is only used on this site.
Ranger Bob
Geek Alumni

Postby Restek » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:36 pm

Don't forget that anyone who visited this site can see your pctechforums email address - maybe it was a visitor, maybe it was harvested by a spambot but either way I guess someone who had your email address got infected :(
Restek
Geek Alumni

re email sent from pc techforums

Postby dartchucker99 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:27 pm

I too revieved the email and now am getting on an average 6-8 emails a day with the netsky virus, this started april 15 . It would be nice to know if anyone else that got that email is getting the emails with netsky also. Is there any solution other than new email address to getting rid of these emails.
dartchucker99
Geek in Training
Geek in Training

Postby Gecko » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:06 pm

Just to help everyone feel a little safer about this netsky virus and their email address.

I have not received any emails containing the netsky virus.
I did receive the hoax email that everyone got but that’s it,
not one virus and not any spam either.
This email address is only used here and one other site.
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby Diverse » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:45 pm

I also received the original email and haven't received any emails containing any virus or any spam increase.

That's to the email that I used for this site and for many others.
Diverse

Previous

Return to Security