It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:01 pm

Trouble sending email

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

Trouble sending email

Postby Geekgirl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 3:19 am

I just put a fresh install of 98SE on my parents pc. She has PeoplePC as her ISP. She can receive email but cannot send. She can also view webpages so her connection is there.
I went through her settings and everything seemed ok.
How embarrassing I ended up calling their tech support :oops:
He walked me though the settings, ended up removing and re-adding. It still will not send... I didn't feel too embarrassed after that.
Anyhow, he said that's as far as they support Outlook Express and suggested to send/receive from their server meaning she has to log in on their website and do her emailing from there.
She has no firewall or Anti-Virus ....which I need to get for her like real quick .. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, if anyone has any suggestions to what is causing this it is greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance :)
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby icecube » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:29 am

You probably have a comma instead of a period in the smtp settings--that error is a real killer
icecube

Postby skeletor » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:05 am

Personally I would not use outlook express and just use outlook from what I have found it is easier to setup and easier to fix. But I would say that if everything is correct on your end there might be a possiblity that something is wrong on there end.
skeletor
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Postby Gecko » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:15 pm

Hi Geekgirl,
Are you sure that the outgoing (smtp) email sending port is set to 25?

I also found the below on PeoplePC web site.
PeoplePC wrote:Q.What happens if my email access is suspended?
A.If your email account is suspended, this has happened as a result of one or more complaints against you for sending unsolicited email. Guarding our members and the Internet community at large against the scourge of unsolicited email is important to PeoplePC, and this is an important way that we preserve our integrity as an ISP. Please look at our Online Services Agreement web site for further information on this subject: http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legals.a ... 3&pageid=2

Did you see if if this has happened to your parents account?
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby Geekgirl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:00 pm

Thanks for the replies........... :)

icebube
You probably have a comma instead of a period in the smtp settings--that error is a real killer

Went over the settings with tech support, I double checked no comma.......

skeletor

Personally I would not use outlook express and just use outlook from what I have found it is easier to setup and easier to fix. But I would say that if everything is correct on your end there might be a possiblity that something is wrong on there end.

I agree, I would rather not use Outlook Express but this is my mother, she barely knows how to turn it on...... :| Anything simple for her is what I'm looking for. I thought about putting Microsoft Outlook on her pc, that is an option is she chooses to try it.

Gecko
Hi Geekgirl,
Are you sure that the outgoing (smtp) email sending port is set to 25?

I also found the below on PeoplePC web site.
PeoplePC wrote:

Q.What happens if my email access is suspended?
A.If your email account is suspended, this has happened as a result of one or more complaints against you for sending unsolicited email. Guarding our members and the Internet community at large against the scourge of unsolicited email is important to PeoplePC, and this is an important way that we preserve our integrity as an ISP. Please look at our Online Services Agreement web site for further information on this subject: http://www.peoplepc.com/online/legals.a ... 3&pageid=2

Did you see if if this has happened to your parents account?

Yes the port is set to 25, double checked that with the tech support.
She just got this set up on Friday the 15th, I really doubt she has been that busy sending unsolicited mail :|
Tech support double checked the intergrity of her account. :wink:

I was sent an email suggesting to log the SMTP traffic for troubleshooting Outlook Express sending problems. Trying to narrow down what the problem is.

I don't like PeoplePC at all, their software is stupid and when you log in you have to keep the log in window open or you get disconnected... :|
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby PCguy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:31 pm

There is a setting under the advanced tab that says you must log into the server before you can send mail. Try checking that box.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby Geekgirl » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:29 pm

THx PCguy I'll give it a whirl :mrgreen:
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby Geekgirl » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:03 am

I fixed the problem :)

PCguy I think you were on the right track but there was no option in the Advanced tab.
I had to change the outgoing mailserver settings.
The tech support guy said not to have a tick in the "my server requires authentication box". There is a settings tab beside that option, when you clicked that there was a tick beside "use the same settings as incoming mail" so I unticked it and ticked Log on blah blah blah..... I then had to add her account name and password. It worked she can now send email. :mrgreen:

That tech support guy owes me a hair color, got lots of greys over this one :|
Am I eligible for an ATTA GIRL ???? :lol: :lol:
Thanks for all your help
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby PCguy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:11 am

Well that's what I meant. I guess I didnt say it right. But I'm glad its fixed. :)
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Return to Windows XP and 2003