It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Windows98se keeps losing my CD Drives

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

Windows98se keeps losing my CD Drives

Postby kengaz » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:40 pm

Inexplicably, when I try to read a CD, I will find that one or both of my CD drives will be lost. The drive won't read the disk and then when I explore My Computer or enter the device manager, it doesn't even show up. I have a TDK CDRW drive which I installed and a resident CD-ROM drive. At times one or both won't be recognized. There are also periods when I don't have any problems at all. My hard drive and my CDRW are both set to DMA. The CDROM is not. On both CD drives the 'disconnect' box on the settings panel is checked. (I don't know what that is) I've tried removing the CDRW drive from the system and then reinstalling the driver. (I thought that fixed it but the problem popped up again) I don't have any packet writing software running. I'm running Windows 98se with an Intel Celeron processor and chipset.

If more info is needed to help me troubleshoot the problem I'll be happy to provide it. The intermittentness of this problem is what is so aggravating, I can't pin down what makes it happen.
kengaz

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Geekgirl » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:13 pm

Hi kengaz Image

On both CD drives the 'disconnect' box on the settings panel is checked

That setting is correct....

Have you tried rearranging the way you have the devices connected on the motherboard.. master, slave.......can you give us a detailed explaination on how they are set up? Which ide controller and so forth mayb we can eliminate that as a problem.

Have you changed your ide cable to rule that out as a problem?
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby kengaz » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:29 pm

I went for months after installing the TDK drive without any problems, this is new. I cant remember how the drive is installed exactly but I do know that the cable from motherbaord has dual connectors, the first one one the cable goes to the CDROM drive, the second to the CDRW drive. How the slaving was done is what I can't remember. I followed the instructions from TDK and even had their tech support on the phone while I did it. I dont think installation or cabling is the problem because as I said the problem is new. Both the cd drives are running off the secondary IDE contoller. What I have not checked is whether or not that is working when the problem is occurring
kengaz

Postby Gecko » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:09 pm

I would try reseating the secondary IDE cable at all three ends,
carefully reseat them two or three times for each connection
in hopes that it will remove any oxidation.

Although the connectors are gold plated to prevent oxidation,
that gold is not 100% pure gold, 90% - 95% gold is more like it.
The gold is alloyed most often with cobalt to increase hardness but cobalt will oxidize.
Over time and with heating and cooling, oxidation forms on the connectors.
The result is an intermittent loss of electrical connection.

The best way I know of to clean the pins on a male connector
is to use clean fine silica sand kept in a small box.
Carefully put the pins into the sand and move the cable around in circles a few times
being careful not to bend any pins, they will be clean in no time. :)
Gecko
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks given:1
Thanks received:23

Postby icecube » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:52 am

I would suspect the power supply or the motherboard is going bad. Check for leaking or swelled capicitors on the mother board. If that seems ok, I would swap out the power supply. When the voltage is not constant for the drives, all sorts of bad things can happen. Usually the power supply will give off a strong electrical odor or the fan will turn very slow or not at all.
icecube

Postby Restek » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:07 am

icecube wrote:I would suspect the power supply or the motherboard is going bad. Check for leaking or swelled capicitors on the mother board. If that seems ok, I would swap out the power supply. When the voltage is not constant for the drives, all sorts of bad things can happen. Usually the power supply will give off a strong electrical odor or the fan will turn very slow or not at all.

While this is a (IMO, outside) possibility, I'd check your IDE cables first!! Checking a cable is much easier (and cheaper) than changing a PSU :)
Restek
Geek Alumni

Return to Windows XP and 2003