It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:40 am

I need help (Connecting to Internet)

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

I need help (Connecting to Internet)

Postby PCman612 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:10 am

My friend came over today with his computer so we can hook it up to my router and play a few LAN games. So, I took a cable and ran it from my router to the back of his computer. When we try to connect to the internet with his computer, It says "Page Cannot Be Displayed".

When I check my router settings, It shows my computer as an "Attached Device", but it won't find my friends comp.

All we want to do is play a few WarCraft 3 games. I have tried everything ( that I know ) with no luck at all.

At his house, he can connect to the internet just fine using just his cable modem. Over here, when I connect his comp directly to my cable modem, it still doesnt work!

I am posting in this forum because his computer ( not mine ) uses Windows 98.

Router: NetGear RP614v2

Please help. Thank You
PCman612

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby liljim » Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:50 pm

On his computer,click start > run and type winipcfg or winipconfig (i dont remember which one works in win98) then click OK.On the window that opens,click release all then click renew.Try the internet again.

Let us know if that works..
liljim

Operating System: Win 7 Home Premium X64

Thanks received:12

Postby PCman612 » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:56 pm

liljim wrote:On his computer,click start > run and type winipcfg or winipconfig (i dont remember which one works in win98) then click OK.On the window that opens,click release all then click renew.Try the internet again.

Let us know if that works..

Ok i gave that a try...here is what happened:

When I click on Release All, it says: "Ip address for adapter is already released"

When I click on Renew All, it says: "Error 32 Renewing Adapter"
PCman612

Postby Geekgirl » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Hello PCman612 Image

You can try this
Right click Network Neighborhood. Click properties. Under TCP/IP PCI card whatever his network card is click properties. Make sure all his settings are correct and to obtain an IP address automatically. This should get you connected. If you need to, change his settings to match yours, but I really don't think you would need to. If you have it set to obtain IP addy automatically it should get you connected.

Let us kno :)
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby icecube » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:47 am

Geekgirl suggestions should work, the one thing about networks, is that you both might have to reboot to get things to be copasetic (probably spelled wrong)
icecube

Return to Windows XP and 2003