It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Win98 SE with IE 6 patched/updated.. SLOW

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

Win98 SE with IE 6 patched/updated.. SLOW

Postby CanadianTek » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:08 pm

This is just insane.. on my own.. good ole reliable system.

win 98 se - fully patched win98, total hd is 17 gigs, only have about 335megs free..

Couple days ago.. i tried to go to Google.ca my home page.. via IE 6

slow-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-w

ran a scan.. spybot... adaware.. had spyware guard and spyware blaster up and running.. avg all up to date.. all clean as usual
(even bazooka found nothing more then windows media player guid issue)

later told cause.. they were hit with a virus the day of their stock debut on exchange..

no sweat..

yesterday.. i deleted temp internet files .. after i found all websites were taking forever to get into... as per usual.. only took 4 to 5 seconds to clear the cache as im pretty good at housekeeping..

example.. google web page comes up.. but.. google log does not...

type in www.microsoft.com.. %download bar.. across bottom of browser freeezes.. and ms never comes up

yet.. all other net activity like msn chat is just fine

Ideas, insights?

reformat is not an option.. may consider ghosting all to a new hd .. if this one is pooched.. or giving up on me
CanadianTek
Geek
Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Geekgirl » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:16 pm

I really don't think you have been hijacked but if you want you can Download HiJackThis and post a logfile and our moderators will take a look at it.
Is there ever a time that Google or MSN ever loads correctly?? Are these the only 2 that won't properly load?
Alot of times I notice some sites will load slowly and alot has to do with the high traffic on the internet, the time of the day also has effects on slow loading pages.
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

no site does not matter.. time of day does not matter

Postby CanadianTek » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:18 pm

ya.. i know the 3pm to 6pm corridor is ruffest on msn/hotmail servers.. but no. i have tried cnn.. everything.. slowwww

i did a diskchk ..took 2 hours just incase there was file corruption.. etc.. nothing..

i do have HJT 1.98 - but im so used to the loads.. and reliability.. that i know there must be something going on.. not viral.. not necessarily spy either..

old betsy has served me reliably for 4 years.. dont wanna have ta put her down.. if i can help it.. hard to be objective when it is your own system at risk..

will work up the hjt logs.. and post them.. in hjt.. section..

Footnote .. again. .. no notification came to my email saying a reply was here. yet i clearly tagged it to do so.. hmmmmm
CanadianTek
Geek
Geek

Device manager could be messed up

Postby icecube » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:30 am

Go into device manager and write down all of the items listed. then go into safe mode and back into device manager. Delete any items not found in step one. and reboot.

this procedure gets rid of devices that are no longer on the system that the registry still shows.

A real neat way of doing this ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE CAB FILES ON THE HARD DRIVE is to "enum" the system (this only works for Windows 98). Go to the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and right click on enum and delete it. Reboot. Windows will recreate the enum registry.
You will get about 40 "found new hardware" routines with a request to reboot--just say no until it finds every last driver and then reboot.

Also,there is a good chance that your drivers for your nic or modem--which ever you use for the internet might be corrupt.
icecube

slow IE... on an otherwise fine 98SE

Postby CanadianTek » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:41 am

Thanx for the advice..

Just an update.. - installed Mozilla/Firefox.. EVERYTHING worked fine..

so i knew something was interfering with IE.. originally thought it was a corrupted file or driver.. ...

However on reboot..

I got that message about.. device no longer present.. either loading a file from system.ini or a registry entry is making reference to a device which is no longer present..

Well.. i hadnt removed any hardware.. how ever.. i did delete a couple rogue directories.. dated back to 1999/2000 - back in the old days when i used to rely on Symantec..

the error line.. came out.. something like..

.....symevnt.386...blah blah..blah..

so off i went.. into ..

sys.ini / system .ini and nothing

into the registry.. find.. symevnt....

whoosh.. there it was in the .vxd section.. somekind of tracker/ or driver for symantec? events.. .. part of the old update program..?

No lie.. - as soon as i deleted the reg value..

poof.. IE sprang back to life..

however.. now on post.. i get a pause in the dos boot section.. saying the same thing.. this time.. no file name mentioned..

(thinking it may have been smarter to take out the entire command, not just the value??)

Anyway..

Just curious if there is a GOOD REG cleaner.. (free?) - that you might recommend?

..Otherwise I will try what you suggested.. - had never heard of that.. hmmm. very interesting..

again... thx for your support..

AND .. as for notifications not being rec'ved.. YES MSN/Hotmail has turned up the heat on spam? and i had to check my junkmail pile.. - to find your response, i have now added pctechforums to the OK not spam list..
CanadianTek
Geek
Geek

Postby Geekgirl » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:59 pm

symevnt.386

..Yes that particular error message is related to Norton, when you and yes a quick registry deletion will solve the problem

[url=http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win98/1025338199]getting rid of symevnt.386 boot message
[url][/url]
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Return to Windows XP and 2003