It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 pm


Internet Explorer

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

Internet Explorer

Postby caboosejjs » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:41 am

I'm going to be looking at a computer this Monday and this is what I know so far. When the user opens up IE he is unable to connect to the internet. He has a dial up connection with a local ISP. But, whenever he opens up his Outlook Express he gets a IP address and is able to send/receive. He then says he is able to use his internet explorer. Off the bat im thinking this is a case of software and that spyware has taking over his explorer. I'm planning on taking a copy of Spybot and Adware on disk (cant stand dial up speed), running both then posting. Any other ideas out there?
User avatar
caboosejjs
Geek
Geek
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:00 am

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Postby Cactus » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:52 am

Just incase that doesn't get him back on-line,download a copy of HiJackThis to a seperate floppy,make sure you download the apps to PERMANENT folders like in MyDocuments,don't run the apps from the floppy.
Download HJT from here:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

Save the LogFile to floppy and post it back here in this post.

Good Luck!!


Cactus
User avatar
Cactus
Geek Alumni
 
Posts: 1330
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere...

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Postby Geekgirl » Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:03 pm

You can also try repairing IE through Add/Remove Programs.
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:00 am

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Postby caboosejjs » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:03 pm

Update. I ran adaware and spybot and removed the fixed problems. I then went to run hijackthis and got a error message "a required dll file msvbvm60.dll was not found when initiating hijack this". So i was unable to get a report needless to say. But by running adaware and spybot alone it had removed what ever was stopping IE from working correctly.
User avatar
caboosejjs
Geek
Geek
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:00 am

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Postby brad » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:37 pm

That simply means that you need to upgrade the version of Visual Basic that you have installed on your computer to Version 6. You can download it here: VB6.
I'd do this followed by a reboot. Then Run HJT and post a fresh Log File.
brad
"Duty is a matter of the mind. Commitment is a matter of the heart".
brad
Geek Alumni
 
Posts: 2079
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Postby caboosejjs » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:37 am

I did a search on a another pc for the same file msvbvm60.dll and copied it to diskette. So I was planning on just moving it to the directory it was missing from.
User avatar
caboosejjs
Geek
Geek
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:00 am

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top

Windows 98

Postby icecube » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:54 pm

Go to run and type in SFC, then type in the windows file you want to extract, and point to the cab files and get it. Then click on settings in that same widow and check "check for missing files" and run that. It should bring the system up to par. Your cab files should be in c:\win98 or maybe c:\windows\options\cabs or on the cd d:(cdrom drive[insert cd])
User avatar
icecube
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:00 am
Location: San Marcos Ca

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0
Top


Return to Windows XP and 2003

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron