It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm

msn messenger

All versions of Window XP and 2003 including 32 bit and 64 bit

Moderator: icecube

re voice

Postby badpolarbear » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:49 pm

it is possible the people you are trying to talk to have other audio programs running in the background and if so they may not be able to voice. Or if they have more than one messenger open at the same time it may not work.It is a good idea to go into Start, Run, type msconfig and , then click ok, open the startup menu and see how many audio programs you or they have running on start up.
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby distrautuser » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:57 pm

I did what you said...the only problem is that I am not that familiar with what should be checked and what shouldn't be. I sent a hijack this log....would it not show there as to what I have running?
distrautuser
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

voice problem

Postby badpolarbear » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:14 pm

One thing I noticed in your log is it seems you have 3 different versions of ICQ on your system. ICQ Pro, ICQ 4.0 and ICQ Lite. That alone can cause a conflict. Look and see if there are checkmarks in msnmsgr, msnsgs, ICQNet and check marks in any audio programs you have like Mixer, CD Copier etc. In your start menu there is only a need for items that are required to startup the machine and any antivirus programs stuff. Programs like ICQ, Yahoo, MSN dont need to be opened on start up. All they do is slow down your boot up and cause conflict. As far as the new MSN I would avoid it until they get all the problems ironed out. When ever I see that sweet little box that comes up saying a new version is available I wait for about a year before I even try it. New versions are never stable.
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Postby distrautuser » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:24 pm

Ok...I checked it again and understanding as much as I can I don't see anything checked that shouldn't be.

I also don't understand how I could have 3 versions of icq when I only show one in programs. With still learning technology, how can hijackthis show something that I can't even see?

Probably a stupid scenario....but I really need to understand.
distrautuser
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

re voice

Postby badpolarbear » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:17 am

If you look at your Hijack log you can see ICQ Pro, ICQ 4.0 and ICQ lite are all mentioned. When you download ICQ it sends the files to C:\Program Files. Look in the program files for ICQ and see if there arent duplicate files. The best thing to do is uninstall ICQ from Add\Remove programs then remove all files from C:\ProgramFiles. After all that is done choose one version of ICQ, download and install it. ICQ 2003b, version 3916 seems to be stable now.
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Postby distrautuser » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:59 am

I went into program files and opened up icq folder. There is no duplicte. Its all for icq lite 4.0

So, you got me....I have no idea why 3 versions are showing when there is nothing in my programs (except the one).

:shock:
distrautuser
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

re ICQ

Postby badpolarbear » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:42 am

All I was trying to suggest is your hijack log is suggesting you have three different version installed some how. ICQ Lite and ICQ 4.0 are the same thing. ICQ Lite is an earlier version of ICQ 4.0. ICQ pro is either 2003a or 2003b. You may not find the duplicate files but they could be causing conflict. It is never a good idea to have 2 or 3 different versions of any programs installed. Some how I dont think Hijack This would be finding files that dont exist. But its up to you, I can only suggest what I see and what may be a problem. Sorry I couldnt help.
badpolarbear
Executive Geek
Executive Geek

Postby distrautuser » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:30 am

This is so frustrating.....I don't know what else to do.....even tried net meeting with my son....thats a bad move......oh well.....guess not to worry about it then.

Thanks anyways!!
distrautuser
Senior Geek
Senior Geek

Previous

Return to Windows XP and 2003