It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 am

unable to log in from home

Tell us how we are doing

Moderator: PCguy

unable to log in from home

Postby dab2403 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Can someone help me understand why I would be unable to login to the forum from my home computer but am able to from work? When I log in at home it tells me that I am offline.
dab2403

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Cactus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:17 pm

Can you get to other websites from your home pc?
If you can...
Download Hijackthis
---Important---Create a permanent folder
EG---- Open MyDocuments----Right click an empty spot and select NEW---Folder----Name the new folder HJT ---this is where you will want to save Hijackthis too, also, backups will be stored there.

Download from here
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe

Do a SCAN----Scan will change to SAVE LOG----copy and paste the WHOLE contents of the log
here... Don't try and fix anything yet----most entries are harmless and needed.
If you can't logon to forum to post log send it the logfile to my email address.

Copy
Cactus
Geek Alumni

Postby Geekgirl » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:41 pm

Hi dab2403 Image

Did you run those tools I gave you the other day? Mayb you should post your logfile. If you need additional help using HJT plz ask.
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby dab2403 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:02 pm

Yes I ran Spy Bot and Adaware last night. Spybot may have removed some of the problems I was having but I'm still getting some stuff that is modifying my IE settings. I ran a HJT scan last night as well but was unable to post it to the forum because of the login problem. If the problem persists tonight I'll send the scan to your e-mail address as you suggest.
Yes I can get other websites at home. I also recently downloaded the MS Service Pack 2.
Thanks
dab2403

Postby PCguy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:25 pm

Is it just this site you can't connect to? Our site has a very strict policy that bans people right away. You may have used a web browser other then IE, Mozilla or Firefox. It bans all the rest. PM me your IP address from your Home PC. If you dont know how to find your IP address, go to www.whatsmyip.org and it will be listed at the top.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Postby dab2403 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:23 pm

PCguy wrote:Is it just this site you can't connect to? Our site has a very strict policy that bans people right away. You may have used a web browser other then IE, Mozilla or Firefox. It bans all the rest. PM me your IP address from your Home PC. If you dont know how to find your IP address, go to www.whatsmyip.org and it will be listed at the top.

Actually I noticed this morning that I can't log into my bank login either. I tend to think that might be caused by the new security stuff in the MS Service pack I just installed - is that possible?

I do use IE, but that is where I seem to be having problems at the moment. Something is coming in and modifying my home page, putting shortcuts on my screen, putting "toolbar" type ads and links in my IE browser. Could this infection be what is causing me to not be able to login??

Thanks a lot for your help!!
dab2403

Postby PCguy » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:28 pm

Yes, my suggestion is to go to the HJT forum here, and post a HJT log file for analysis.
(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Copy and paste bunny into your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.

PCguy
Lord of the Geeks
Lord of the Geeks

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional x64

Thanks given:2
Thanks received:4

Return to Comments/Suggestions