It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:45 am

Remove Solved Questions

Tell us how we are doing

Moderator: PCguy

Remove Solved Questions

Postby Digital_DNA » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:34 am

Love the board.. Would like to see problems that have already been solved removed, or moved to a solved problem area. Will make responses to unsolved problems much quicker.

Actually, I like the idea of relocating solved problems. This would take the cooperation of all members... When a problem is solved I would like to see the person who posed the question also post the solution (when solved). I dunno, just playing with ideas. Up to the admin and mods I guess..

Nice job guys/girls... Keep up the good work..

Cheers,
Digital_DNA
Digital_DNA

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Restek » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:05 am

In a way this is a nice idea, but it doesn't really work. Things often aren't as cut and dried as that - first off, people may often chip in with important information after a problem is solved, or the poster may think the problem is fixed only to have it reappear 2 days later & have to carry on the post - this makes it hard to decide when a problem is actually 'solved.' It would also be a bad idea to delete posts because they serve as a useful reference for people searching for a particular solution.

The other major issue is that you require the poster to post back & say when the problem is definitively solved. Although many people are very good in this respect (it's always nice to see a 'thanks, that fixed it' post :)) there are also a reasonable proportion of posts which don't get such a final post made by the poster. I'm not sure how you'd 'make' people post back when it's all sorted!

Thanks for the suggestion though - keep 'em coming :)
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby brad » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:47 am

Agree with Retek. Also, read my comment to your original post in Win98 Forum.
brad
"Duty is a matter of the mind. Commitment is a matter of the heart".
brad
Geek Alumni

Postby Digital_DNA » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:17 pm

brad, Restek...

Yes, I can see the error in my thinking now. At 4:00am my mind isn't in its most lucid state. Heh..

Anyway, I have been thinking more about this and was thinking, "how about if messages are posted open/closed"... This would solve the problem of leaving the question up for others who may be experiencing a similar problem etc.

Also: is there a way to set the board software to auto-send email to a person who has poseded a question, say after 30 days of inactivity? This would let them know that they have a question open (in the event they forget) and give them the opportunity to post the solution (if any). At this point the user would have the opportunity to close the question.

brad,
I saw your response in the win98 forum. As always, I respect all comments, criticisms, ideas, etc.. Thanks for your input, sincerely..

Thanks ppl… Keep up the good work..

Cheers,
Digital_DNA
Digital_DNA

Postby Restek » Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:57 pm

Again, the problem with closing posts is that people may want to add comments, even after the solution is found. For example to say 'glad you got it to work, here's another way you could have tried' or 'here's a good link that explains why the problem occurred in the first place in more detail.'

As to the idea of sending emails to posters, it's a nice idea in theory but I'm not sure how you'd implement it. It would need to be automated, but how would the system know that a post had been inactive because the original poster hadn't posted the solution rather than because a solution had been found. I suppose this goes hand in hand with your first suggestion - if we closed posts then emails could only be sent about open posts - but see my comments in the above paragraph about that!
Restek
Geek Alumni

Postby Digital_DNA » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:12 pm

I think I'm on the same page now.. Just thought I would toss that idea in, and see what other people thought.

Peace,
Digital_DNA
Digital_DNA

Postby Geekgirl » Mon May 17, 2004 1:23 pm

Why couldnt you lock the post and if anyone had a comment or wanted to add they could email or pm a mod? Just a thought, this way we would know it was resolved.

:cool:
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Return to Comments/Suggestions