It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Blank screen, then re-boot.

Help with Web Design, Programming, and Graphics

Moderator: Gecko

Blank screen, then re-boot.

Postby stinger » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:33 pm

Anyone know why my pc unpredictably goes to a black screen then re-boots? It maes no difference what I am running at the time, all microsoft says is that there is a driver fault. I have used the event logger to try and find out what is going wrong but cannot decipher the codes. What I get is: error, Service Control Manager, Event 7023, then error, System error Cat (102) Event 1003.
Yahoo spyware checker has also found an unknown trojan which keeps returning after each time I remove it. I am not sure if this is causing the problem but cant get rid of it. :(
stinger

Thanks given:0
Thanks received:0

Postby Cactus » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:03 pm

Hi stinger ...

Goto Trend Micro's HouseCalls and run the On-Line Scanner.

Then Download and Install
Ad-Aware
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045 ... tag=button

CHECK FOR UPDATES
Set these for a Custom Scan
click the gear wheel at the top and check these options:

General> activate these: "Automatically save log-file" and "Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"

Scanning > activate these: "Scan within archives", "Scan active processes", "Scan registry", "Deep scan registry", "Scan my IE Favorites for banned sites" and "Scan my Hosts file"

Tweaks > Scanning Engine> activate this: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

Tweaks > Cleaning Engine: activate these: "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion" and "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Click "Proceed" to save your settings, then click "Start", make sure "Activate in-depth scan" is ticked green then scan your system. When the scan is finished, the screen will tell you if anything has been found, click "Next". The bad files will be listed, right click the pane and click "Select all objects" - this will put a check mark in the box at the side, click "Next" again and click "OK" at the prompt "# objects will be removed. Continue?".
Ensure you Reboot after running Ad-Aware if it found objects
to remove, so it can properly remove them.

Now Download,Install,Update and then Run
Spybot
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

Fix everything in RED

Now if your still having problems...

Download Hijackthis
---Important---Create a permanent folder
EG---- Open MyDocuments----Right click an empty spot and select NEW---Folder----Name the new folder HJT ---this is where you will want to save Hijackthis too, also, backups will be stored there.
Download from here
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe

Do a SCAN----Scan will change to SAVE LOG----copy and paste the WHOLE contents of the log here...
Don't try and fix anything yet----most entries are harmless and needed.

Cactus
Cactus
Geek Alumni

Postby Geekgirl » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:31 am

Hi stinger Image

What O.S. are you using so we can move this thread to the correct forum.
It does not belong in the Web Help forum :)
Geekgirl
Geek Alumni

Postby cking » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:48 pm

I had a simular issue all the monitoring software people told me to try said everything was working fine so I did a complete hard drive wipe and reinstall which fixed it.
cking
Geek
Geek

Re: Blank screen, then re-boot.

Postby qrsvideos » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:25 pm

My best guess would be to do a backup of all your important files then do a full restore of the system..
qrsvideos

Return to Web Development